The Accountability of a Class
With some many options today for yoga, why does actually getting to a studio to practice really matter? You can roll out a mat pretty much anywhere, open up you tube and there you go. Here are 5 reasons to get into the studio and stick around!
- Accountability. A mentor once said said to me “the promises we are most likely to break are the ones we make to ourselves.” And starting and sticking with a home yoga practice tends to fall into this category. We can easily have the best intentions and the desire to practice alone at home, but as soon as an obstacle appears, we get derailed. And often because the only person to suffer is ourselves. When you feel accountable to class, a teacher or even a friend you plan to meet up with at the studio, you are far more likely to follow through despite the inevitable obstacle popping up.
- Alignment. Certain postures are just tough to notice on yourself. Our instructors are trained to help you with correct alignment and sometimes you need the outside eye to see it. At SHY, we encourage you to ask the teachers questions before and after class. We want you to have the best class you possibly can, so ask as much as like! We are here to help you.
- Focus. This is two-fold. I encourage you to use the mirrors in the room, both to help you see your own alignment and to help quiet your mind. The eyes are connected with focus in Qigong and Taoist 5 Elements practice. When the eyes are focused, the mind is focused.
- Environment. Being away from your familiar surroundings and into the studio allows your mind to relax and reach new levels of quiet. No cell phones, no family in the other room, no co-workers across the desk, your time inside the studio is yours. I like to say: "Be selfish in your practice so you can be selfless in the rest of your life.” When you give yourself a recharge through yoga practice, you have the energy to greet everyone more fully and meet your daily responsibilities off the mat with more zest!
- Success through Routine. Maximizing your practice does require commitment and commitment comes easier with a routine. When you can set the classes you can attend - lots of our students use our free Steamtown Hot Yoga App to make a personal class schedule for the week - you are more likely to stay on track. Seeing it in your calendar and setting the routine of attending regularly will get you the results you are seeking - and even a few surprise results you hadn’t even intended!